Do you have a skill that other people may find valuable? Chances are you can make money from it on Fiverr.
Fiverr started with a simple concept: offer a service — or Gig — and get $5 each time you do it for someone. These days, Gig sellers can make a lot more than just $5. If you decide to offer your skills on Fiverr, you could start making a decent side income for yourself.
How do you get paid?
When Fiverr first started, you were only allowed to charge $5. Now you can charge more — anywhere from $5 to $995.
While you’re setting up your Gig, you can create packages of your service — Basic, Standard and Premium packages — charging different prices for each. For each package, you can add Gig extras and charge additional fees. A common extra is Extra Fast Delivery, where a buyer pays more money on top of the normal Gig fee to have the seller deliver the service more quickly.
Withdrawing your earnings
When you’re ready to cash out, you have three options to withdraw your funds:
- Direct deposit to a bank account
- Fiverr Revenue Card
The Fiverr Revenue Card is a debit card supported by Payoneer and Mastercard.
What are the benefits of Fiverr?
- Lots of possibilities for Gigs. You’d be surprised at the types of Gigs you’ll find on Fiverr. If you think other people might benefit from one of your skills (and you can fulfill your Gig online), then you’ll probably find an appropriate category on Fiverr.
- Offer services you’re passionate about. Fiverr is a great place for out-of-the-box thinking. If you’re highly interested in a topic and can offer a service for it, you can do it on Fiverr.
- Great potential earnings. You’re not limited to charging $5. Mix and match packages with various add-ons, and you could create a nice side business for yourself.
- Get paid online. You can withdraw your earnings conveniently without having to wait for a check in the mail.
- Work as much or as little as you want. You can always pause your Gig if you’d like a break.
What to watch out for
- Keep an eye on your customer reviews. Your ratings will show potential customers that your Gig is worth paying for. Provide excellent service to keep your star rating high.
- You probably won’t get rich right away. Selling on Fiverr isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme. When you’re getting started, acquiring those first few customers and building a name for yourself may be the toughest tasks.
- Fiverr fees. As a seller, you’ll pay 20% of the revenue from each Gig as a service fee to Fiverr. Also, based on your location and currency, you may pay fees when withdrawing money.
Why choose Fiverr over another service?
- Unique concept. Fiverr is a place where you can set up a virtual store. Create detailed pages that explain what you’re offering and how you can help customers. You can also offer different service packages.
- Set your own rates. On many freelancing websites, clients make “help wanted” posts and set their budgets. Fiverr lets the sellers set their rates on Gig pages.
- Get started by charging a low fee. You don’t have to charge high prices right away. On Fiverr, $5 is a common starting price.
How do I decide if Fiverr is worth it?
- Identify one skill (or several skills) you’re good at, that you can fulfill online and that would be valuable for others.
- Evaluate whether you can dedicate the time to fulfilling your Gig and providing great customer service.
- Determine your financial goals for selling on Fiverr. Most people don’t make much money on Fiverr right away.
How much you’ll earn
You might offer three packages — Basic, Standard and Premium — for your Gig, charging $5, $50 and $80, respectively. At the beginning, you may need to ask friends and family to buy your Gig and give you your first five-star ratings.
Soon, you may get a few Gig requests a week. For example:
- Get five Gig requests a week for your Basic package, and you’ll earn $25 a week.
- Get one Standard package request each week, and that’s $50 a week.
- Get one Premium package request each month to earn $80 a month.
With those requests, you’ll earn $380 a month — decent money for a side business. And the sky’s the limit for how much you can earn as time goes by. Of course, it could take months of working on your Gigs before you see sizable revenue from Fiverr.
How do I apply to work on Fiverr?
Becoming a Fiverr seller is easy: Create an account on the website, and you’re ready to create Gigs right away.
Understanding the fine print
Be sure to keep all of your payments on the Fiverr platform — your clients must pay you through it. Fiverr makes its revenue from the service fees it charges on Gig payments.
What else do I need to know?
It can be tough as a new Fiverr seller, but you can create a thriving business if you keep at it. There are a few ways to getting traction on the platform.
Make your Gig page detailed and professional
Especially as a new seller with no reviews, it’s hard to convince buyers to give you their hard-earned money. Make it easier by creating the best Gig page possible:
- Write a detailed and accurate description about what you can do for your customers and why your Gig is their best option.
- Add a great cover photo — even a video — to your Gig page. (You can get your video created on Fiverr!)
- Price your Gig packages competitively. If you can overdeliver on value for a great price, you’re much more likely to get stellar reviews from your customers.
Ask those you know to be your first customers
Attracting customers for those first few ratings can be difficult. To get the ball rolling on your Gig, ask your friends and family to buy your service — they’ll get great value from you, and you’ll get a few five-star ratings.
I got an account! Now what?
It’s time to create a Gig.
- Go to your Dashboard.
- Hover over the “Selling” tab and click “My Gigs.”
- Click the “Add a New Gig” button. You’ll be taken to the Gig creation wizard, where you can set up your first Gig.
Is Fiverr right for me?
A $5 price point is typical for Gigs, so Fiverr is a great place to start offering your service. There are some pretty unique Gigs out there, so your service may belong on the site even if it doesn’t fit perfectly into an existing category.
Fiverr is right for you if you have a valuable skill to offer — and if you’re a stickler on strong customer service. Customer reviews on Fiverr are public, and getting great reviews (especially at the beginning) is a must to bring in more business.